Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission. This helps us keep the lights on, and costs you nothing extra. Please see full disclosure policy HERE.
SUGGESTED BABY ITEMS
Listed below are a variety of products that are helpful in the first year with a new baby. Your need for some of these items will vary based on your choices, situation, and parenting style. Questions to ask yourself: Will you use cloth diapers or disposable? Do you plan to breast or bottle feed or a combination of both? Do you plan to make your own baby food? Do you plan to wear baby or not? Do you plan to co-sleep (bed share or room share). Etc.
You *need* very little with a new baby, but many of these items are really nice to have, at least for a season, and make it all just a little easier. Remember, it’s very possible to find gently used items through parent list serves and at places like The Nesting House, Circle of Hope Baby Good Exchange, and City Kids Consignment Sale (hosted by Lilypad twice annually).
In addition to considering items similar to those below, a valuable way for your community to support you in the days and weeks after birth is to bring over pre-made meals and snacks. I love Take Them A Meal for organizing the schedule. Maybe someone in your support network could set this up for you.
1. Tommee Tippee Bottles *be sure to get the slowest flow nipples for the first few months, especially if you will be bottle and breast-feeding.
*Decide if you want a travel system, or just stroller and different car seat of your choosing and/or adapters. Will you be moving baby from car to stroller often, or walking around town and wearing baby in the earliest days?
4. Stroller Hook and for city living a bike lock is super helpful.
2. Magic Bullet *Great for baby food, smoothies and general kitchen use. You don't need a baby food specific blender.
3. Infantino Squeeze Station (Pouch Maker)
5. Reusable Food Pouch *As an alternative to #3 and #4.
7. Food Steamer OR
8. Foldable Steamer (For Stovetop)
9. Baby Food Freezer Tray *Also a fun way to present snacks to a toddler
10. 360 Training Cup
11. Bamboo Spoons
13. Snack Cup
14. Wipeable Bib
16. Booster Seat
17. Burp Clothes
Baby wearing is highly personal, and for Philly-based parents I recommend checking out The Nesting House for the option of trying on and/or renting different carriers before buying.
1. Lille Baby 6-Position Carrier *great from infant wearing to toddler wearing
2. Baby Bjorn *wonderful for infant wearing and less comfortable as the child approaches the 24lb weight limit.
3. Boba Wrap
4. Baby K’tan Wrap *Wrap style without the wrapping
2. Dear Zoo
10. The Snowy Day